Culinary Tourist Guide Certification (FEG)
Culinary Tourist Guide Certification and training for professionally licensed tourist guides in European Federation of Tourist Guide Associations (FEG) member countries.
As the number of culinary tour companies grows, so does the demand for culinary tourist guides. There is a wide range of talent among culinary guides. Some guides have been professionally trained, while many others have not. Some guides have great personalities, but limited knowledge of the local culinary culture, which is a disservice to their customers. This certification is designed to train to a consistent level, and then assess the visitor experience offered by culinary tourist guides, with the end goal of delivering a high-quality culinary tour with the highest chance of receiving the highest ratings from customers. The certification is suitable for culinary tourist guides of all types, including food tourist guides, wine tourist guides, beer tourist guides, distillery tourist guides, food/beverage manufacturing tourist guides and similar roles.
Note that this certification covers the components of developing and guiding culinary tours specifically. If you are interested in developing or managing a culinary tour operator company, consider enrolling in our Culinary Tour Operator Certification as well.
This certification is available ONLY to tourist guides who meet the following requirements:
- You are a professional, licensed tourist guide with a valid guide license and/or badge
- Your tourist guide license is current (i.e. not expired)
- You can prove that you are a member of a national guide association that is a member of the European Federation of Tourist Guide Associations. Currently, this list includes the following countries (subject to current country association membership ): Austria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Kosovo, Latvia, Malta, Montenegro, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, United Kingdom
- Be sure to read the full course prerequisites here.
Which Certification Should You Enroll In?
- Are you a professional tourist guide working in Europe AND you are a member of a national tourist guide organization that itself is a member of the European Federation of Tourist Guide Associations (FEG)? If the answer is yes, then you are in the right place. This certification is for you.
- Are you a professional tourist guide working in Europe AND you are a member of a national tourist guide organization that itself is a member of the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations? If the answer is yes, then you will need to enroll in the WFTGA program instead.
- If you are a tourist guide in Singapore, please contact us for special circumstances.
- If you are a tourist guide in all other areas, then enroll in our "All Others" culinary tourist guide certification course instead.
- You can also explore our other certification programs to see all available certification options.
If you do not meet the prerequisites and still enroll in the course, your application will be rejected and your application fee will be refunded. Questions? You can reach out to us here.
- Understand the culinary tourist guide profession
- Learn what makes culinary tours so special
- Learn what a good culinary tourist guide should do - and not do
- Understand the characteristics of a successful culinary tourist guide
- Learn what to do to not just meet, but exceed, customer expectations
- Learn how to solve specific types of problems unique to culinary tours
- Initial screening application
- Two training videos (English language narration with closed caption English-language subtitles)
- Comprehension test
- Bonus resources (podcast & downloads)
- Comprehensive final assessment interview (online)
- Access to your faculty advisor as required
- Once signing up, you’ll have 45 calendar days to complete the certification
What You Get After Graduating
Completion Certificate (print yourself and frame for your office)
Color enamel lapel pin (pictured below) for your use on tour:
Certified Culinary Tourist Guide listing on our World Food Travel Market website for 1 year (click for example of a tourist guide's microsite listing)
A larger version of the digital badge below for your website:
Here is the course outline:
1. Getting Started
Here is what you can expect during your certification training.
2. Screening Application
Application screening for FEG-member tourist guides.
3. Training Module 1
First training video.
4. Training Module 2
Second training video.
5. Bonus Resources
Additional resources to round out your learning experience.
6. Knowledge Test
Required knowledge test
7. Essay Interview
Required essay interview
8. Publicity and Marketing
If you'd like us to promote your certification, please complete this section. This is YOUR chance to get noticed!
9. Program Review
How did we do?
The following certificates are awarded when the course is completed: